e5c8f9858a90d7089beb5b61cfa058ab.jpg
86adcfe48e307c788573dadd0101bb8f.jpg
ace7094000fabb7918bc088047b3c8db.jpg
ab8074dc92da5ddb8ec6b5a13a0c56d5.jpg
  • REGIONS
  • BEACHES
  • HOTELS
  • SIGHTS
  • BUSINESS
  • BOOK ONLINE
  • GRADAKIA
    Next to the cosmopolitan beach Makris Gialos, at the beginning of Lassi is the small beach Gradakia....

    Read more

  • MYRTOS
    Myrtos beach is the hallmark of Kefalonia. It is one of the most famous beaches of the island, if no...

    Read more

  • ST.HELIS
    Organized, great beach with umbrellas and sunbeds is the beach of St. Helis. Located on the south co...

    Read more

  • AMMES
    Nine kilometers from Argostoli within walking distance from the airport you are going to swim while ...

    Read more

  • ASSOS
    Thirty six kilometers from Argostoli, in the west part of the island you will find the beach ace. Pe...

    Read more

  • EMPLISI
    Near the village of Fiskardo just 1.5 km lies the cosmopolitan beach Emplisi. This small pebble beac...

    Read more

  • KLIMATSIAS
    A short distance from the village is the beach Spartiá Klimatsias. This sandy beach surrounded by hi...

    Read more

  • KORONI
    Near the village Thiramonas, shortly after Lourdhata will find the beach of Koroni. The beach is ide...

    Read more

  • KOUNOPETRA
    The beach is located in Kounopetra Palliki. In 1953 the rock found there was moving again because of...

    Read more

  • KOUNOPETRA
    The beach is located in Kounopetra Palliki. In 1953 the rock found there was moving again because of...

    Read more

  • LAGADAKIA
    Among HAVDATA and Havriata will find the beach Lagadakia. This pebble beach with beautiful colors in...

    Read more

  • LEPEDA
    Two kilometers south of Lixouri is the beach Lepeda with red and orange sand. In the tavern located ...

    Read more

  • MAISTRATO
    Near Argostoli beneath a pine forest next to a small marina is a small beach Maistrato. Due to its c...

    Read more

  • MEGAS LAKOS
    The Megas Lakos stands as of Xi on the red sand. This beach with shallow crystal clear waters suitab...

    Read more

  • MINIA
    Four kilometers from Argostoli will see a series of three beaches. With crystal clear waters near th...

    Read more

  • ST.SOPHIA
    Along the coastline of St Euphemia - Fiskardos there are several coves for swimming but the multitud...

    Read more

  • ST JERUSALEM
    The beach Agia Jerusalem is very close to Fiskardo in a small creek which is divided into two smalle...

    Read more

  • PALEOCHORIO & VOUTES
    Located 2 km from the village elbow is the beach of Agia Kyriaki with turquoise waters. The beach is...

    Read more

  • ST.PARASKEVI
    Along the coastline Sami - St Euphemia find enough bays for swimming. The first and biggest bay as S...

    Read more

  • ALATIES
    Alaties is another hidden beach. Located in north Kefalonia and is a small bay surrounded by rocks, ...

    Read more

  • DAFNOUDI
    A hidden beach on the northern tip of Kefalonia. Leave your car shortly after crossing the Antypata ...

    Read more

  • KAMINIA
    Another beach in southern Kefalonia awaits you. Kaminia located near the village Ratzakli and the be...

    Read more

  • KOUTSOUPIA
    Redbud is a tropical beach and relatively unknown to the average visitor of Kefalonia. Located in a ...

    Read more

  • MAKRIS GIALOS
    Within walking distance from the capital of Kefalonia, Argostoli, is the beach Makris Gialos.
    ...

    Read more

  • XI
    Once known, yet beautiful beach of Kefalonia. Xi beach however is not like most beaches of Kefalonia...

    Read more

  • PETANI
    The fly, Homeric word meaning district abundant water throughout the year. Another famous beach on K...

    Read more

  • PLATIA AMMOS
    Square Sand is one of the few beaches of Kefalonia may not meet many people.

    It is a lo...

    Read more

  • PLATIS GIALOS
    The natural extension of Makrigialos are Platis Yialos, which are separated by only a few rocks.

    Read more

  • SKALA
    The area of Skala and of the village in the last years a large tourist development and this is due m...

    Read more

  • ANTISAMOS
    The island of Kefalonia acquired additional glamor and publicity due to the generation of Hollywood ...

    Read more

  • FOKI
    The beach Seals are next in Fiskardo, you can even go on foot. The name comes from the frequent occu...

    Read more

  • GORGOTAS
    The beach became known from the film "Captain Corelli's Mandolin" with the name "Pelagia beach." The...

    Read more

  • POROS
    Near the port of Poros under the square of the village, is a large beautiful beach with sand, umbrel...

    Read more

  • SPARTIA
    Beach with warm and shallow waters make it the ideal for families. Rocks located there attracting fa...

    Read more

  • TOYRKOPODARO
    The Tourkopodaro named because a horse that slipped having Turkish rider and created a strip of sand...

    Read more

  • TRAPEZAKI
    Near the village Moussa is the sandy beach table. Beach ideal for those seeking a quiet holiday with...

    Read more

  • FANARI
    Next Katavothres beach ideal for children is that of light. Sandy shallow beach, preferred by the in...

    Read more

No result...
SIGHTS

SIGHTS

Five kilometers from Argostoli, going to the 'Tombs Pessada Mazarakaton who found the early 20th century. It is the largest cemetery in the Mycenaean period whose ruins attest to the era of Mycenaean civilization flourished in this region.
The cemetery because it was found intact is of great importance. Many reports became books of Homer for Kefalonian cemeteries after this came to light, rather confirmed.

The cemetery was found in 1813 by Colonel De Bosset. Many excavation took place in 1908 and 1909 by Kawadias who along with Colonel De Bosset investigated 16 vaulted tombs and 83 tombs. Under the tombs were no roads and caves into which the transfer was dead. The shapes (square, trapezoid, elliptical) and size (small, large) chambers vary.
Archaeological Museum of Argostoli

The Archaeological Museum of Argostoli after the earthquake of 1953 caused serious damage founded in 1957 and was completed in 1960 and in 2000 the building was fully restored from any damage. The Archaeological Museum of Argostoli hosted finds from the prehistoric era. The museum has three rooms.

In the first room exhibits findings from Sami, Fiskardo and Skala which date back to the Paleolithic and the Neolithic period. Here you will find flint tools, pottery, ceramics and precious miniature vaulted tombs from the Mycenaean period.

In the second room there are findings in their entirety from the Mycenaean period, which showed great prosperity on the island of Kefalonia. Items which come mainly from graves and not only that there were very prosperous for the island's history period.

In the third room the finds dated to the 5th century BC where Kefalonia divided in 4 cities-states wrestling, Helmets, and their Pronnon Sami. In this room you will see a pitcher 8th century BC marble head of Silenus, plastic vase in the form of a slave, from the cemeteries in Fiskardo, three funerary columns, a marble head of a woman and part of the mosaic floor of the sanctuary Neptune in Lixouri.


Business hours
Tuesday - Sunday: 8:30 a.m. - 3 pm

The museum is housed in the ground floor of Korgialenios Library that was donated by Vangelis Typaldou bass. The new wing houses two exhibitions. The museum collects studies, classify and inventory history and folklore of Kefalonia from Venetian rule until 1953 with earthquakes.

The permanent exhibition is divided into the sections urban and rural segment, ecclesiastical art and city plan. Separately exhibited the collection of Byzantine Icons Collection Charokopou and Francis and Stephen Vallianou. It is a warm and friendly showroom.

The purpose of the museum is showcasing the history and folklore of the island from the 16th century until 1953, because of earthquakes destroyed many elements of cefallonian culture.

During the period 1834-1839 was founded by Peter J. Skarlatos Philharmonic School Pallis engaged in Lixouri. The establishment of the school was the impetus to create other similar schools in the Ionian Islands, which were aimed at cultural development over the years of British rule.

From the 19th century until today, with two centuries operational project, the school educates free young who like music. The school is housed in the Nursing Home Lixouri and continues headlong her work without being intimidated or major historical events such as the wars in Europe in the 20th century or the civil nor catastrophic events such as earthquakes of 1953.

On 30 December 1982 the Philharmonic School Lixouri Pallis was  awarded by the Academy of Athens for the important work he has done for so many years in the Greek intellectual world.

At the Phanar, at the end of Argostoli, the hill is the Monument to the Fallen Italians, which is dedicated to Italian soldiers Aqui Division who lost their battle by the Germans in an attempt not to surrender to them. This self-sacrifice and denial tradition reflected in this monument which reminds the pain of war and the values of sacrifice and heroism. This massacre victims had more than 117 Italian soldiers who were shot in Casetta Rosa (Red House, a short distance from Argostoli) in September 1943 (15-26 September).

The construction of the monument began in 1975 and completed the work in 1978. It is surrounded by a semicircular railing space area of 52 square meters. The monument is a white cross and next to it 2 \ two inscriptions, one in Italian and one in Greek stating the reason for the monument.

The castle of St. George is built above the village Peratata a hill about 300 meters high and is the capital of Kefalonia, Argostoli, about 5km. Probably built in the 12om.ch. century by the Byzantine emperors. It is a remarkable Venetian castle with later alterations main Venetian 16th century dominates the southern part of Kefalonia, Argostoli Bay Castle has been the capital of Cephalonia until 1757 when he became the new capital Argostoli. In recent years servicing the equipment and the castle has been restored to much of its old glory.

The outer walls of which survive to this day, built in 1504 by the Venetians. Inside the surviving churches and buildings and the suburb (borgo) east of the entrance. There exists also the Cathedral of the Annunciation, a typical example Ionian Baroque. Stored inside the post Byzantine icons from the ruined temples of the castle. There are still remains of a bridge that was the period of the French occupation of the island joined the ramparts. In the courtyard of the fortress near a small square, you will see the ruins of the Catholic Church of St. Nicholas.

The castle was damaged by earthquakes in 1636 and 1637. The last earthquake of 1953 caused major damage. Also historically known about the existence tunnel connecting the castle to Argostoli, but this has not been revealed and investigated until now.

One of the two castles that should not be missed in Kefalonia. Genuine sample of the military art of the Venetians, who wanted to establish a strong castle with a permanent population.

It is built on the peninsula of Assos, in highly strategic position and now you can enjoy the view and see what is left of its former glory.

Some of the ruins of the castle walls that reach 2000m. have survived until today, and the residence of the Venetian ruler (since 1593 it was the seat), the barracks and the church of San Marco. Large and impressive vaulted entrance of the castle of Assos preserved in good condition.

The large philhellene poet Lord Byron lived a few years of his life in Kefalonia and more specifically in Lakithra.
The poet was born in London in 1788 and in 1823 there was written a Commission for Assistance struggle of the Greeks against the Turks, which was chosen as representative of Byron.

It is argued that in Kefalonia wrote some of his most famous poems particularly sitting on a rock, known as the "Rock of Byron."

This rock is located in the village near the site Lakithra Kallithea and from there one has a view of the beautiful island of Zakynthos. Today there is a sign on the main street of the village that leads visitors to the place. Also on the rock is a plaque engraved with the words of Byron himself: "IF I AM POET, we owe IN THE AIR OF GREECE."

Cyclopean Walls outside the village and Razata are ruins of the ancient city Krane (7th and 6th BC), which had a perimeter of about four kilometers.

So named because of their size and are especially important for the information we can learn from them about Greek vallasion the Mycenaean era.

In this area we find even ruins of buildings and a Doric temple dedicated to the goddess Demeter and her daughter Persefoni. At the Archaeological Museum of Argostoli there is a sign for the truth, with the dedication "Triopion Damatria and Cora."

Southeast of the island of Kefalonia Poros gorge at a height of 70 meters is the Cave of Drakena. The area is estimated at 90 square meters. The Ephorate Paleoanthropology and Speleology of Southern Greece excavated from 1992 to 2005 as a result of the activities date back to the cave.

According to the cave was excavated from the Late Neolithic to the Bronze Age. After years of neglect the cave took life from the late 7th to the 20th century BC as the Sanctuary of the Nymphs and the god Pan, while the modern era like other caves and so was used to corral.

Cave found by archaeologists a rare for the Greek data finding. A carbonized yarn length of a millimeter. The age of the filament is estimated at 7000 years which leads us to the conclusion that the people of the Neolithic era could spin and weave. Even found seeds, bones and various food residues.

Drogarati cave is one of the sights of Kefalonia that you should not miss during your visit to the island.
Discovered about 300 years ago, when a section collapsed due to earthquake and thus created the current input. Initially, the cave was used by the community Haliotis, under the supervision of Mrs. Anna speleologist Petrocheilos since 1963 and is open to the public all year round.

Cave Drogarati is located 3 kilometers from Sami and at an altitude of 120 meters, the depth reaches 95 meters and the temperature is 18th Celsius. It is considered one of the best caves in Greece and is the only one with such a large room (65x45 dimensions and height of 20 meters) and the most appropriate for cave-therapy.

Drogarati cave is alive, while it is still created. Drops falling from the stalactites and of course in no case touching drops that are ready to fall is not allowed, because it is destroyed so the cave dating back over 100 million years! A stalactite grows about one centimeter every hundred years.

The room, decorated with stalactites and stalagmites, has excellent acoustics and is formed with a special platform for concerts. The two most important and biggest caves is the Cave and Cave Agkalaki Zervati.

To visit the cave will get off specially designed steps that due to increased humidity is extremely dangerous and it needs a lot of attention.

Business hours
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 8.00 pm

Unique geological phenomenon, the grotto of Melissani located 2 km northwest of Sami. The natural entrance of the cave is vertical (measuring 40x50 meters) and was created by the collapse of a section of the roof. But there is also an artificial entrance with stairs to allow the visit to the cave. The cave was discovered by John Petrohilos 1951.

The lake is located 20 m below the surface, has a length of about 160 m and the water depth is 10 m to 40 m Stalactites age 20,000 years with odd shapes adorn most of the cave.

Worth while visiting Kefalonia to make boating in the cave, so also becomes the tour. Starts from the uncovered part of the cave where the light falls in the water and creates the most beautiful turquoise shades and continues in the covered section.

In the center of the lake there is a small island on which artifacts were found confirming the devotional service of the cave as in antiquity, the prehistoric inhabitants worshiped the God Pan and the presence of female figures, known as nymphs. For this reason the cave Melissani called Cave of the Nymphs.


Working hours
May - October
Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 7.40 pm

One of the most famous attractions in Argostoli, just off the famous sinks and right at the entrance of the bay of Argostoli, in the area called Saints Theodore (the chapel), is the Phanar.

The Lantern of St. Theodore was inaugurated in 1928 and joined the network of lighthouses of Greece in 1863. It is the work of J.P.Kennedy.

In 1953 the earthquakes on the lighthouse Kefalonia destroyed to later rebuilt according to original plans.

The sinks in Kefalonia belong to many geological sites. Located at a distance of about 2km from Argostoli, at the cape of St. Theodoron. The sinks are cracks - openings near the sea, where the water enters and takes a long ride underground crossing almost the entire island.

This fact was revealed in 1963 when geologists Maourin Viktor (Viktor Maurin) and Tsetl Joseph (Josef Zötl) from the Technical University of Graz, paint shed 160 pounds in one of the sinks. Two weeks later, traces of color found in sources on the other side of the island, 14 km away, as well as the grotto of Melissani.

Previously, the power of the water flow used to drive mills, but today they remain unused. The  mills where placed by the English Stewens, who was the first to notice the phenomenon.

 

PHOTO GALLERY

Find Us On Facebook