The castle of St. George is built above the village Peratata a hill about 300 meters high and is the capital of Kefalonia, Argostoli, about 5km. Probably built in the 12om.ch. century by the Byzantine emperors. It is a remarkable Venetian castle with later alterations main Venetian 16th century dominates the southern part of Kefalonia, Argostoli Bay Castle has been the capital of Cephalonia until 1757 when he became the new capital Argostoli. In recent years servicing the equipment and the castle has been restored to much of its old glory.
The outer walls of which survive to this day, built in 1504 by the Venetians. Inside the surviving churches and buildings and the suburb (borgo) east of the entrance. There exists also the Cathedral of the Annunciation, a typical example Ionian Baroque. Stored inside the post Byzantine icons from the ruined temples of the castle. There are still remains of a bridge that was the period of the French occupation of the island joined the ramparts. In the courtyard of the fortress near a small square, you will see the ruins of the Catholic Church of St. Nicholas.
The castle was damaged by earthquakes in 1636 and 1637. The last earthquake of 1953 caused major damage. Also historically known about the existence tunnel connecting the castle to Argostoli, but this has not been revealed and investigated until now.